Every October the Government launches its Stoptober campaign to encourage people to give up smoking. Research has shown that people who stop smoking during October and manage to stay off the habit permanently could gain an extra week of life for every month they are smoke free. Some more immediate health benefits:
- After 8 hours – nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in blood reduce by half and oxygen levels return to normal
- After 24 hours – carbon monoxide eliminated from body. Lungs start to clear out mucus and other smoking debris
- After 48 hours – No nicotine left in the body. Ability to taste and smell improved
- After 72 hours – breathing becomes easier, bronchial tubes begin to relax and energy levels increase
- After 3-9 Months – Lung function improved by up to 10%
- After 5 Years – Risk of heart attack falls to about half that of a smoker
- After 10 Years the risk of lung cancer falls to half that of a smoker
Various research studies have shown the effectiveness of using hypnosis to stop smoking*. Reported success using hypnosis ranges from 81% to 90.6% in these studies. The Australian Stoptober site states that hypnosis is the 2nd most effective way to make someone stop smoking. The most effective is a heart attack.
I don’t accept every client who contacts me for help stopping smoking. I only work with those who are really motivated. No therapist can guarantee success but the chance of success is far greater if you are well motivated.
Contact me if you want to discuss how I could help you firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you sign up via the official Stoptober website you will receive free support tools. Visit https://stoptober.smokefree.nhs.uk/registration-c