It’s that time of year when you start to think about what you want to change in the New Year. It’s great to have a goal for positive change and remember, if the road to hell is paved with good intentions, the road to heaven is paved with commitment and good planning.
So, whether you’re thinking about giving up smoking, losing weight, spending more time relaxing or something else, here are some tips for making it happen.
Step 1 Know what you want to have happen
· Close your eyes and visualise what you want. State it in the positive eg “I want to be a size 12”, “I want to breathe easily when I walk”, “I want to spend two hours a week exercising”.
· What will you see, hear and feel when you achieve your goal?
· When do you want to achieve it by? eg a specific date or special occasion.
Step 2 Plan how you are going to get there
· What resources do you already have? What resources do you need?
· What options do you have to help you achieve your goal?
· Do you need any advice or support?
· What actions are you going to take?
· What obstacles might you experience? How might you overcome them?
Step 3 Work the plan
· If you move off of the plan one day, forgive yourself and start again
Step 4 Enjoy your achievements!
Good Luck and Happy New Year